Quick Haag won the first-ever Nachenius Tjeenk Twenty20 Cup final in Schiedam on Saturday evening, beating hosts Hermes-DVS by 32 runs in front of a crowd of several hundred.

Chasing 139 to win, Hermes were torn apart by spells from Darron Reekers and Henk-Jan Mol, who took six wickets in the space of eight overs to turn a promising position of 31 without loss into 57 for six. Pankaj Joshi and Lou Borrani had given their side a good platform, but once the wickets started to fall Quick kept the pressure up and never gave the hosts a chance of getting back into the game.

Only Harro Seelaar mounted any serious resistance with an unbeaten innings of 29 in 20 balls, but it was in a lost cause as Chris Rawson chipped in with two wickets to dismiss Hermes for 106.

That Quick managed to get their total up to 138 was almost entirely due to Geert Maarten Mol, who played a magnificent innings of 64, made off 40 balls with 4 fours and 3 sixes (all of the latter coming from the bowling of Erik Hartong). Mol had come in with the score on 40 for four, with Hartong having taken two of them at the cost of just 9 runs.

Ruud Nijman had initially removed the dangerous Job van Bunge with the last ball of the first over, and then Robin ter Plegt bowled Darron Reekers when he had made 16 from 8 balls. With Hartong trapping Henk-Jan Mol leg-before before he had scored and then having Jeroen Brand caught at long off, Hermes were definitely on top.

A stand of 38 between Sean Clingeleffer and Geert Maarten Mol partially restored the situation, but suddenly Quick were again in trouble as three wickets fell in four balls, Pieter Seelaar dismissing Clingeleffer and Bobby van Gigch and brother Harro accounting for Edgar Schiferli with the second ball of the following over.

But Mol was still there, and with Lesley Stokkers lending him valuable support he went onto the attack, against Hartong in particular, and he ensured that the Quick bowlers had a reasonable total to defend. Unsurprisingly, his innings earned him the Man of the Match award.

Quick Haag reached the final by holding their nerve when VRA Amsterdam looked to be heading for a comfortable victory. The architects of their victory were captain Edgar Schiferli, who produced two run outs and then took three for 24, and Chris Rawson, whose apparently innocuous spin earned him four for 10 as the VRA batsmen lost the plot in the latter stages of the innings.

Quick’s innings had got away to a great start after they were put in, Job van Bunge smashing 31 from only 9 balls in the first two overs before he holed out to long on off Adeel Raja’s bowling. Raja took two more wickets to finish with three for 31 from his four overs, while Mangesh Panchal did a fine containing job in the middle phase of the innings, taking two for 16.

Henk-Jan Mol was comparatively restrained, but his 29 was a crucial contribution which helped ensure that Quick reached the reasonably challenging total of 139. Two run outs and two wickets for Peter Borren ensured that they were all out in the final over.

Ryan Maron and Wesley Barresi began VRA’s reply by putting on 49 in five overs before Barresi was run out for 30, made off 17 balls. Maron maintained the momentum, bringing up his half-century off 40 balls, and together with Darrin Murray he took the score to 105 for two after 13 overs.

At this point VRA seemed to be cruising, but when Murray was run out in Rawson’s first over and Raja was stumped next ball, the match took a dramatic turn. As long as Maron was still at the crease VRA had the edge, but Schiferli struck the crucial blow, bowling him with the last ball of the 17th over with the Amsterdam side still needing 20 runs.

The last five wickets produced just 9 runs as the pressure built, and with Schiferli bowling at his most effective and Rawson giving him great support, the required rate steadily grew. 14 were needed off the final over with two wickets left, but VRA managed only two singles as Rawson struck twice to make sure of the win.

In the other semi-final, Rood en Wit elected to bat first against Hermes-DVS despite the absence through injury of Jarrod Engelfield, and were soon in trouble as Maarten Barnhoorn was run out in the first over before he had scored. Nathan McCullum struck a couple of fine blows before he edged Robin ter Plegt to slip with the total on 20.

With wickets falling fairly steadily, the Haarlemmers were unable to take control, but the runs accumulated nonetheless, opener Elvis Roach making a solid 28 from 33 balls before he skied Pieter Seelaar to Nicky Statham.

Once he was fifth out, however, with the score on 78, the innings subsided quickly, Seelaar and Pankaj Joshi running through the tail to dismiss the side for 109. Only Jacob Nawijn, with 23 from 21 balls, was able to keep things going. Seelaar finished with three for 18, and Joshi with two for 15.

The early wickets that Rood en Wit needed simply didn’t come as Pankaj Joshi and Lou Borrani built up a solid opening partnership, helped by a sizeable number of extras. They reached 44 in six overs before Farhaad Sardha brought himself into the attack and bowled Lou Borrani with his first ball.

That was to be Rood en Wit’s only success, although they continued to fight hard, and Nicky Statham was dropped by keeper Jason Atkinson off Arend Jan van der Burg’s bowling when on 18 and with the total on 86 and Joshi might well have been stumped when four were still needed.

Running well between the wickets and showing increasing aggression as the target approached, Joshi and Statham saw their side through to a nine-wicket win, Joshi reaching his half-century (off 53 balls) with the two that ended the match. Statham remained not out on 28.